Skip to main content

Issues with Transaction Logs

After adding a Security Certificate to our SharePoint server, we had an issue with the transaction log for the content database exploding exponentially taking up most of the remaining space on our SQL server.

The site slowed down to a crawl and it was quick to see that this was a problem that needed immediate assistance.

I knew it was possible to shrink an SQL database, but not having an SQL server background, I wasn't sure what implications that would have for our SharePoint system. So I did some research on TechNet and found instructions on how to do it. Then I contacted a DBA friend and started asking questions. I was pretty sure that I could write a job in the SQL Studio Manager to shrink the database and transaction log, but was an honest with my manager that I didn't know what repercussions it would cause. Thus we opted to call in a consultant.

Turns out the consultant did exactly what I had found to do. We ran the shrink on the main content database without a problem, this cleared up the transaction log size as well.

Two weeks later we had the same issue on the Admin Content database. So I went intot he SQL Studio and wrote the job and cleared that up myself.

Every day is a learning experience with SharePoint. The more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Embed a PowerPoint Presentation in SharePoint Online 2010 - End User - NothingButSharePoint.com

How to Embed a PowerPoint Presentation in SharePoint Online 2010 - End User - NothingButSharePoint.com Was looking for a way to do this... not sure if it will work on SharePoint 2007, but I will be testing it and see. If not, this information should come in handy once our upgrade to 2010 is completed.